This is a must-read for parents of minor children. Note that a minor is a child under the age of 18.

As of the 1st of June 2015, children are required to present certain documentation when traveling abroad, failing which the minor/s will be denied boarding. Know the difference between an abridged and an unabridged birth certificate.

Become a policyholder today! Call 0861 22 99 22 and select option 1 OR join online.


To summarize: an abridged birth certificate includes the minor’s ID number, full name and country of origin. An unabridged birth certificate includes the minor’s ID number, full name, country of origin plus the ID numbers, full names and country of origin of parents. This is now required when a child travels abroad in order to help eliminate human trafficking and to keep your child/ children safe. Note that an application for this type of document is quite tricky, in that it takes about eight weeks before you receive the document. This becomes tricky when the trip is not planned as far in advance. Things, however, get really tricky when the child is not traveling with any of the two biological parents, but with a friend/ relative.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *